Only 50 kilometers from Salzburg lies the tranquil town at 712 meters above sea level Abtenau resort. This is close to the picturesque market square, not far from the “Kirchplatzl”. Traditional Hotel Post ...
Since Celsion Brandschutzsysteme GmbH This hospitable house is in the heart of Abtenau. When stagecoaches still drove through the country, horses were changed here and also the post office was housed here – hence the name “Gasthof Post ". On original part A historic KuK stagecoach can still be admired in the hotel lobby today.
Over the years, the early “KuK Poststation” developed into a cozy village inn. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Lammertal region became an insider tip for “summer visitors” from all over the world seeking relaxation.
Over time, the small summer hostel at the turn of the century developed into a modern 4-star hotel. Equipped with a generously designed ambience, lovingly decorated with antiques. Today the post office is a house with that certain something – with flair and history.
And right in the heart of Abtenau, close to the Kirchplatzl, is our Hotel Post. The cozy inn with a long history combines established tradition with the comfort of a modern 4-star hotel.
Once upon a time ... a village inn!
The year is 1899... Back then, the Gasthof Zur Post was still called “Bichlwirtshaus", which the married couple Barbara and Mathias Buchegger bought on July 5, 1899. Little by little, four offspring saw the light of day here. The inn was quickly renovated, the hayloft was transformed into a dance floor, and the meat bank and post office were expanded into a dining room.
After the death of postmaster Matthias Buchegger in 1920, his widow Barbara continued to run the inn alone. Daughter Corona married Johann Windhofer, the bear innkeeper in Abtenau, in 1921 and then gave birth to five children. The Windhofers leased the business in 1927 and the inn became their property in 1932. Of course, there were also in this era generous renovations and expansions carried out, the terrace was enlarged, the rooms were increased and running water was introduced everywhere. “Posthans” was not only a born innkeeper, but also a trained butcher and beyond Horse lover.
Wedding in 1921
Corona Buchegger (postmaster's daughter) and Johann Windhofer successfully ran the postmaster from 1932-1962.
Premiere brochure: the very first advertisement for the Gasthof Postwirt in 1936.
Wedding bells in 1965
In the wonderful month of May, Hans Windhofer married his Lisbeth Pesentheiner from Dienten am Hochkönig and is happy to have three children with her. Hansi, Corona and Peter. With his Elisabeth, Post Hans made sure that the pretty inn was included Country house flair and Wellness comfort was enriched. One activity followed another - in 1968 the kitchen was rebuilt, in 1972 it was further expanded and increased in country house style, new balconies opened up new views. In 1976, more rooms were added and the post office manager dreamed of one in-house indoor pool, which was realized in 1984.
His reputation as a horse and cattle dealer reached far beyond the borders and the inn was one of them Fiaker and wagon trade affiliated. Son Hans also grew up with this love of horses and personally knew every horse that roamed the area. Hans trained in the renowned “Österreichischer Hof” hotel in the festival city of Salzburg and worked again in his parents’ business from 1945. During this difficult time, the innkeepers looked after many children and families from Germany as part of the “Kinderland-Schickung” here in Abtenau. In 1962, son Hans Windhofer took over his parents' business.
Four stars in 1994
After his father had a serious heart operation, his son Hans took over the inn in 1994 and soon took it over for his comfort four stars was awarded. Hans Windhofer's personal signature can also be seen today in a number of other renovations, in the spacious panoramic restaurant and in the cozy ones Bichlwirt, Bürger and Zirbenstuben. He made the “Post in a new look” the first address for lovers of Tradition and quality – and created a concept for heart and soul that still stands the test of time today.
Celebrities back in the day
The emperor was a guest here - here the guest is king!
Nice "in emperor's time“Many guests with rank and name from the upper bourgeoisie, film and nobility met here, from the Grand Duke to the Queen. Emperor Franz Joseph also flattered himself after his stay at the Gasthof Post: “It was very nice, I was very happy.”
The innkeepers at the Postwirt always tried to make their guests happy. Some prominent personalities from the European nobility also thanked them for this - in addition to Emperor Franz Joseph, Archduke Ferdinand I and his wife Sophie and Duchess of Hohenberg also stayed here. Even the Queen of Belgium stopped here at the post office. Duke Franz Ferdinand of Tuscany, Archduke Franz Josef of Tuscany and Grand Duchess Alix of Tuscany also stayed in the legendary Postwirt.
Also prominent hunting guests such as Baron Imhof, industrialists such as pencil manufacturer Faber, the inventor of nylon fiber, Prof. Dr. Even back then, Mark and holidaymakers from all over the world, including Russians and Americans, enjoyed coming to the Gasthof zur Post. The landlady Barbara pampered her honorable guests according to all the rules of gastronomic art and knew a solution to every problem. So she said to the tall Duke Eugene, who was wondering about the length of his beds: “Your Imperial Highness, if the beds are too short for you, then just lie across them!”
The entries in the “foreign books” that still exist go back to 1901. The popular actor David Niven immortalized himself in the guest book at the post office. He lived here in 1968 during the filming of the film “Before Winter Comes” and signed the guest book with the words “Thank you very much!!”
What lies behind our family coat of arms is no longer a family secret:
The bike stands for the fiaker and cart industry. Horse head and handshake symbolize horse and livestock trade. The Key refers to the guest and accommodation establishment, and as a former post office, this house bears that posthorn in the coat of arms.